High school football: Southmoore's Tyler Painter suffers broken ribs in practice but delivers on game night
Painter disrupted a point-after-touchdown kick, which helped SabreCats beat Westmoore in double overtime
MOORE — Southmoore's offense gets plenty of accolades.
Players such as Tre Edwards, Karltrell Henderson and Jalen Adams and others on the roster are among the top playmakers in the city area.
Photoview all 42 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Friday night, though, the SaberCats' defense came through in a big way, after Southmoore received an overtime reprieve.
In the end, Southmoore came out with a 33-27 double overtime win over Westmoore in the Southwest Showdown at Moore Stadium.
Westmoore was an extra-point away from winning the game in the first overtime after Southmoore missed its point-after-touchdown to start the period.
But the snap on the kick was slightly off, giving Southmoore's Tyler Painter an opening to disrupt the kick and send it wide.
“I don't know if he got a piece of it or not, but he's a kid that runs straight and doesn't care what gets in his way,” SaberCats coach Jeff Brickman said.
Painter suffered broken ribs earlier in the week in practice, making his feat even more impressive.
Then the Southmoore defense, which helped the SaberCats build a two-touchdown lead going into the fourth quarter, came up big once again.
With the help of a pair of Westmoore penalties, Southmoore held the Jaguars off the board and on the third play of Southmoore's double-overtime possession, Jaelon Walker carried it in for a 4-yard touchdown to end the game.
Southmoore called a sweep to Walker, but it moved tight end Jackson Stallings to the opposite side to draw attention.
“It's a great feeling knowing that they'd trust me with the ball in that situation,” Walker, a junior, said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad