High school football: Texas high school teams to play in Yukon on Friday
Class 3A power Celina will play Perryton in a game that will save both teams a lot of driving time
A pair of Class 3A Texas high schools will play a football game in Yukon on Friday night.
Celina, one of Texas' most storied football programs, will face Perryton at Yukon's old high school stadium.
Celina is about 30 miles east of Denton, Texas, in the north-central part of the state, while Perryton is in the northern tip of the Texas Panhandle. Meeting in Yukon will be more than a three-hour drive for each team, rather than a nearly seven-hour drive for one school.
Celina administrators contacted Yukon athletic director David Fisher, who spent seven years coaching football in Texas, to see about the possibility of playing the game there.
“I joked with our fans that they better follow our team out to Norman North for a tough game,” Fisher said. “But for the casual football fan interested in seeing a couple of pretty good 3A Texas teams, they can do it in Yukon.”
This year's game was scheduled for Celina, and the teams are supposed to play at Perryton next year. Fisher said it's possible they would return to Yukon once again.
Celina has won eight state championships and once won 68 straight games. The team was featured in the documentary “The Power, Passion and Glory.” Portions of Kenny Chesney's “Boys of Fall” music video were shot at the school as well.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort