High school Girls Basketball Player of the Week: Tamara Lee, Edmond Santa Fe
Lee gets an A-plus for defensive effort after helping the top-ranked Wolves win the Skiatook Invitational
After every game, Edmond Santa Fe's Tamara Lee would get a report card from her father, Marcus.
“He'll say, you get an A-plus for blah, blah, blah and you get a C for defense,” Lee said of her reports early in the season.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Those grades took a dramatic upturn last week, though, as the junior helped Class 6A No. 1-ranked Santa Fe sweep through the Skiatook Invitational.
For her efforts, Lee is The Oklahoman's Girls Basketball Player of the Week after winning the tournament's Most Valuable Player honors.
“A-plus,” Lee said of her defensive grade the past few games. “It brings my confidence up to hear my dad and coach tell me that I've been playing good defense.”
The key to that defense is a change to her approach.
“She's keeping her man in front of her,” Santa Fe coach Paul Bass said. “She'd struggled a little bit on that. She's one of those girls that wants to steal everything, but she's doing a good job of keeping her man in front of her and picking her places to go after steals.”
That's been a difficult adjustment at times.
“It's a mental thing because if I go after every steal, it's going to be four-on-five and we're not in a good position,” Lee said. “So it's something I've had to work on.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22333Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8521Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6853OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6505OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5318Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5086Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater