High school notebook: Class 7A discussion on OSSAA agenda
The top 32 schools in enrollment would be divided into 16-team classes — 7A and 6A
The topic of a potential Class 7A in football will be discussed again by the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association board of directors on Wednesday.
NewsOK Related Articles
The board agenda includes an item for discussion “and possible action regarding the recommendations from the Constitution and Rules Review Committee.”
That committee made its recommendations on Class 7A among a variety of topics it sought to improve in the OSSAA constitution.
The recommendation made by the committee to the board would divide the current 32 schools of Class 6A into two 16-team classes for football only.
The goal of the committee was to best address the fact that Jenks and Tulsa Union have won every Class 6A state championship since 1996.
“We want to see if this is a viable option to level the playing field a little more,” Yukon superintendent Bill Denton said in November. Denton headed the committee and also serves on the board.
The board will discuss the issue, with the option to table it for further discussion, amend the plan, and potentially send it to the 32 Class 6A schools for a vote to approve it.
The earliest the new classes could be in place would be the 2014 football season, because the districts are already set for 2013.
SANTA FE'S SUMPTER COMMITS TO MEMPHIS
Edmond Santa Fe running back/defensive back Phillip Sumpter announced on Twitter that he verbally committed to Memphis on Monday.
Sumpter is the third state player, along with Sequoyah-Tahlequah quarterback Brayden Scott and Ringling linebacker Jackson Dillon, to commit to the Tigers, who are coached by Oklahoma native Justin Fuente.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20729Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17578Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11978Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 8989Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8551Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8339Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments