High school notebook: Mustang's Emily Helms break record in win
Emily Helms of Mustang not only repeated as the 6A state cross country champion Saturday, she shattered the course record at Edmond Santa Fe High School by 17 seconds.
Emily Helms of Mustang not only repeated as the Class 6A state cross country champion Saturday, she shattered the course record at Edmond Santa Fe High School by 17 seconds.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“She is one of the most dominating 6A cross country runners in Oklahoma history,” Mustang coach Mike McGarry said.
Helms posted a time of 11:11.29 Saturday, seven seconds off her personal best, but she had such a big lead that McGarry had her ease to the finish for the last quarter-mile of the race.
“I just strided in,” Helms said. “It was a wonderful experience. I felt really good (Saturday).
“The competition is always tough. You can never go in expecting to win. You just hope the training you put in was enough and it happened to be this year and last year.”
ANTLERS REPEAT, KEEP STREAK ALIVE
Deer Creek's boys cross country squad won their second consecutive state championship Saturday while Bryce Balenseifen became the six straight Antler to win the individual title.
Balenseifen is just a sophomore and has a chance to match former Antler Taler Buck, who was a three-time consecutive cross country state champ before this year. Dakota Buck and Andrew Young were previous state champions for Deer Creek in 2008 and 2007.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister