High school notebook: Quarterback versatility a factor for Norman North
Most weeks, Timberwolves will utilize at least three additional players behind center to complement passer Peyton Gavras.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After missing the opening playoff game against Del City due to a health issue, Carl Albert lineman Caleb Holland returned last week against Claremore.
VIAN DOMINATING THROUGH 12 WEEKS
After averaging more than 60 points per game during the regular season, Vian's offense has been even more powerful the last couple of weeks.
In two playoff games, the Wolverines are averaging 77 points per game. Vian beat Haskell 78-8 in the opening round and Kansas 76-26 last week.
Amazingly, the win over Kansas was one of the Wolverines' closest games of the season. The closest came in the season opener, when Vian beat Spiro 55-7.
This week, though, things figure to be significantly tougher as Vian hosts two-time defending Class 2A champion Hennessey — the last team to defeat Wolverines.
The Eagles (10-2) have won nine consecutive games since a 1-2 start that included losses to fellow powers Jones and Kingfisher.
Hennessey gave Class 3A No. 1 Kingfisher its toughest game of the season, falling to the Yellowjackets 21-20 on Sept. 14.
Hennessey beat Vian 18-7 at home in the 2A quarterfinals last season.
Advance championship tickets on sale next week
The Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association will release tickets for the Class 6A-4A, B and C state championship football games at 8 a.m. Monday at OSSAA.com.
The Class 6A-4A championship games will be played at Oklahoma State's Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater Nov. 30 or Dec. 1. The dates and sites for the eight-man Class B and C title games will be announced this weekend following the state semifinal contests.
By Scott Wright and Ryan Aber
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals