High school softball: Jerry Bates steps down as Tuttle's coach
When softball Tuttle coach Jerry Bates got home from Saturday's game at Chickasha, he knew it was time.
“It has been a very stressful year,” Bates said. “That stress has caused me not to be the best coach. I've been not very nice to be around.”
Photoview all 39 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Over the weekend, Bates took stock and by Sunday night, decided to resign as the Tigers' coach.
“Winning had kind of gotten in the way,” Bates said. “We were four games away from 1,000 wins. It was something I was looking forward to. But it got to the point where I wasn't the kind of coach those girls needed.”
Bates' parents live in Oklahoma City and are moving out of the house they've lived in for nearly 50 years this week due to his father's health.
Jennifer White-Stokes, a two-time high school All-American at Tuttle and a standout at Florida State, took over the team. She had been hired before the season to coach the junior high program.
“I've been succeeded by a really good person,” Bates said. “She's got the credentials and the program is in great hands.”
Tuttle has won both its games this week, beating Washington and Hammond.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater