High school softball: Michal Hylton fans 16 as Wayne ousts Dale
Wayne upset Dale, 5-4, Thursday in the opening round of the Class 2A fastpitch softball tournament at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.
Clinging to a one-run lead over Dale in the bottom of the seventh, Wayne coach Scott Brewer still was confident his sophomore pitcher, Michal Hylton, would find a way to escape the bases loaded, nobody out jam.
Photoview all 16 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I told my assistant, ‘She will get us out of this,' just knowing her mentality,” Brewer said. “She is a heck of a competitor.”
Hylton proved her coach right, getting a force out at home on a ground ball then striking out the final two batters as Wayne upset Dale, 5-4, Thursday in the opening round of the Class 2A fastpitch softball tournament at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.
Wayne's Caleigh Clifton, who has committed to Oklahoma, singled twice and scored two runs for the Bulldogs.
Hylton fanned 16 Dale hitters in the game, two short of her season high of 18, while allowing just two hits. Her strikeout pitch was her screwball.
“I trust my screwball,” she said. “It breaks outside to a right-handed hitter. It's hard to hit an outside pitch. If they do hit it, they are hitting it off the end of the bat.”
No. 2 Dale (32-4) had trouble hitting Hylton all day, but almost rallied to win when the left-hander became wild.
Hylton was cruising with a 4-0 lead after three innings, fanning eight batters already, including six in a row.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims