High school sports: Okarche's Austin Kretchmar will play in 10th state tournament
Thursday in the Class A baseball state tournament, Austin Kretchmar will play in his 10th state tournament in either baseball or basketball. The feeling of accomplishment hasn't diminished for Kretchmar.
State tournaments have become routine for Okarche's seniors.
Thursday in the Class A baseball state tournament, Austin Kretchmar will play in his 10th state tournament in either baseball or basketball.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The feeling of accomplishment hasn't diminished for Kretchmar.
“It's still there,” he said. “Making the state tournament is still special to me.
“There's only eight teams that get here. We're always just as excited for it as we were the first time.”
The Warriors open the tournament against Pioneer-Pleasant Vale at 4 p.m. Thursday at Dolese Park.
Kretchmar says this tournament is different, though, for multiple reasons.
First, Kretchmar and his teammates have won state tournament games. They've made state championship games. What they haven't done yet is bring home a title.
“It's my last one,” he said. “There's not going to be another high school state tournament for me after this. I want to make the most of it.”
To that end, Kretchmar also enters the tournament more confident.
“We've all played in big games before,” he said. “And this year, the tournament is wide open. There's always been that one or two team that you didn't want to face in the tournament. This year, I think we're that team but it's going to be whoever puts three good games together that's going to win.”
Last spring, Kretchmar was excellent on the mound, going 10-0 with a 1.51 ERA.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort