High school volleyball: Edmond North on top of rankings
A two-week run for the Edmond North volleyball team has landed the Huskies atop the Class 6A coaches' rankings this week.
A very impressive two-week run for the Edmond North volleyball team has landed the Huskies atop the Class 6A coaches' rankings this week.
Starting with back-to-back wins over Tulsa Union and defending champ Tulsa Kelley on Aug. 30, the Huskies won nine matches as part of a 12-match win streak. That also spanned a 6-0 run at Edmond Santa Fe's Heather Harkness Invitational, which included competition like Edmond Memorial, Heritage Hall and McGuinness.
NewsOK Related Articles
It doesn't get any easier for Edmond North and first-year coach Kimo Aweau. The Huskies face five top-10 programs, including a rematch with Kelley in the next week.
Bethany on the rise
At 17-4 on the season, Bethany propelled itself into the top 10 of the Class 4A rankings this week, coming off a runner-up performance at its own tournament.
Led by seniors Courtney McPhail at setter and Courtney Bowie at middle blocker, the Bronchos also reached the finals of the Mustang Tournament earlier this season.
Stillwater making noise
A team on the move in recent weeks has been Stillwater, which climbed to No. 6 in this week's 6A rankings at 11-6. The Pioneers have won seven of the last 10 against a challenging schedule that included wins over Bartlesville, Lincoln Christian and Broken Arrow.
Coach Jason Webber's senior-laden team won three matches at the Tulsa Kelley Tournament of Champions last week. The Pioneers host the annual Stillwater Invitational Sept. 21, which always draws a strong field.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister