High school wrestling: Choctaw's Becka Leathers is one of country's top female wrestlers
Leathers has won six national wrestling championships in girls wrestling, including the USA Wrestling cadets (15 and younger) title in Fargo, N.D., last summer.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Leathers, a 16-year-old sophomore, has defeated many male opponents in the past but has yet to post a win this season for Choctaw High School, which finishes its dual season Thursday night at Edmond North.
She has lost a couple of close decisions but has earned the respect from the coaches and wrestlers on the opposite side of the mat.
“Technically and toughness wise, she is as good as any boy out there,” Brinlee said. “Once girls get into high school, it's just hard to match strength.”
Leathers said every opponent she has faced this season has been stronger.
“Even when I pull a ton of weight and wrestle at a lower weight, they are still physically stronger,” she said. “Once you get up here and you are wrestling seniors and juniors and people your age just bigger than you, it's a little different.
“I work my butt off when I wrestle guys. It just usually isn't in my favor. When I wrestle girls, I can move them easier.”
Her matches usually draw a lot of attention because she is a girl, but Leathers would rather get the attention because she is a good wrestler.
“You have to be tougher and stronger and quicker to wrestle the guys,” she said. “If I didn't wrestle the guys all of the time, then I definitely would not be as prepared to wrestle the girls. I probably wouldn't have those titles (in girls wrestling) if I didn't wrestle the guys all of the time. It helps me a lot.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims