High school wrestling: PC North takes on Edmond Memorial in 'Mall Madness'
Panthers and Bulldogs will wrestle in front of Macy's Department Store on Tuesday night.
Call it Mall Madness.
On Tuesday night, Edmond Memorial and Putnam North are going to wrestle in Quail Springs Mall.
The two schools will face off on mats in front of Macy's Department Store on the midlevel section of the mall.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I think we can get enough kids out there to support it. They are at the mall anyway,” said Putnam North coach Mitch Brinlee. “For our sport, unfortunately, we kind of need to do things like this to build up some fan base.”
There will be no seating, which will be a home dual for Edmond Memorial. Bulldogs coach Darren Huff thinks many fans will be watching from up above on the upper level of the mall.
Huff got the idea for wrestling in the mall from his assistant coach, Kirk Mammen, a four-time All-American grappler at Oklahoma State University. Mammen's Indiana high school had staged a wrestling match in a mall.
“They really enjoyed it so we are going to try it and see how it works,” Huff said. “It promotes wrestling throughout the community. I think it will be kind of fun for us, fun for the kids. It will be an experience for the shoppers.”
Brinlee was skeptical when Huff first suggested having the dual in the mall.
“My initial reaction was it might be kind of flaky,” he said.
However, the more Brinlee thought about it, he decided, why not wrestle in the mall?
“I think it will be really exciting for our kids,” he said. “We would love for people to come out and watch.”
On Monday night, Edmond Memorial will host Three Dog Night, a wrestling match between the Bulldogs, Edmond Santa Fe and Edmond North. Each school will wrestle the other two in duals.
“It will be a crazy two days of wrestling,” Huff said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law