High schools: District 5A-2 trio doing it with offense and defense
Guthrie, Deer Creek and Bishop McGuinness among the best offensive teams in state
It's no secret that District 5A-2 is one of the most top-heavy districts in any class.
The district features No. 1-ranked Guthrie, No. 3 Deer Creek and No. 4 Bishop McGuinness. And there is a Carl Albert team that pushed each of those three but stands with a 2-5 record after playing a loaded schedule the first six weeks.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
While Frederick leads all teams with 446 points, Deer Creek is No. 2 with 358 and McGuinness is No. 4 with 344. Guthrie is tied for No. 15 with 310 points scored. The three are also among the best defenses in 11-man football, with all ranking in the top 15 in fewest points allowed.
Deer Creek leads the way with 52, good for seventh; Guthrie is No. 9 (57); and McGuinness No. 13 (62).
Two of the teams above Deer Creek and Guthrie and three ahead of McGuinness, though, have played only six games.
Vian is tops in scoring defense, having allowed just 16 points.
MARSHALL IDEAL PLACE FOR EDMOND NORTH'S DIXON
Edmond North senior pitcher Jordan Dixon's two older sisters won a state fast-pitch softball title for the Huskies and went on to play for the University of Arkansas.
Dixon, however, is not following the same path to Fayetteville, Ark., like her sisters. Instead, she will be pitching collegiately for Marshall next season.
“That's just how it worked out,” Dixon said. “I fell in love with the campus. I fell in love with the coaches and I love it there.”
TRIO OF FORMER STATE CHAMPS WIN REGIONALS
Hennessey's Cheyenne Choate was one of three past state champions to win regional cross country titles Saturday in Enid, Lindsay and Henryetta.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad