High schools: Eric Dompierre could likely play ball in Oklahoma
Michigan youngster with Down syndrome might be denied senior basketball season.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Michigan does not have an exception to their age rule for disabilities or for other reasons included in the OSSAA rules, such as designation as a transitional first grader, serious injury or illness or difficulty transitioning from a foreign language to English.
The Dompierres and the Ishpeming School District have made several proposals to the Michigan High School Athletic Association, but none have been fruitful.
The latest proposal asks the MHSAA to allow its member schools to vote on whether or not to allow waivers to the rule, similar to what is allowed in Oklahoma.
An online petition started by Dean Dompierre on Change.org has attracted more than 75,000 signatures.
Dean believes it is critical to his son's development that he be allowed to play basketball as a senior.
“If he told that he's not allowed to play anymore, I think he's going to lose a lot of that confidence,” Dean said. “And that's been a key to his development.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 34667Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 26962Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6958OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6745Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4485OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4208Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3679College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals