High schools: Norman quarterback Zach Long is Player of the Week
The senior has taken the leadership role voided by graduated running back Donovan Roberts
NORMAN — Norman quarterback Zach Long is doing his best to fill the void of Donovan Roberts.
No, Long isn't trying become the dominant running force Roberts was the last two seasons for the Tigers.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But in addition to his rushing production, Roberts' leadership is absent, now that the running back is a freshman at Arkansas. And that's where Long has made the most difference.
“Donovan had always been that guy leading us,” Long said. “I've been a lot more vocal this year than the past two years. I'm trying to take that role.”
In his third year as the Tigers' starting quarterback, Long hasn't been asked to run much until this season. He totaled 308 rushing yards during his sophomore and junior seasons. Long has blown past that number through four games.
He had more than half that total last Friday against then-No. 9 Mustang. Long finished with 159 yards and three touchdowns on just 13 carries during the 56-35 win to earn The Oklahoman's Player of the Week honor.
Coming into the season, Long knew the job to replace Roberts' yardage would be a collective effort of strong blockers and a triple-threat backfield, which included Imond Robinson and A'erion Hines.
“With the three of us in the backfield, we thought the option would be a good tool for us, and I knew I'd have to take some of the runs,” said Long, who had never run the option offense before this season. “We're not a team that's gonna throw 20 times a game. But when we throw, we want to be as effective as we can, short and efficient throws, and maybe hit that big play down the field.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit