High schools: Phil Ingersoll says Douglass job offer was rescinded
Hall of Fame coach said he has not been given a reason by district athletic director Keith Sinor.
Phil Ingersoll's return as the boys basketball coach at Douglass High School appears to have ended before it began.
Ingersoll told The Oklahoman on Tuesday that the job offer at Douglass — which was extended by Oklahoma City Public Schools officials and accepted by Ingersoll last Thursday — had been rescinded.
Ingersoll's hiring was not expected to become official until the next meeting of the OKCPS Board of Education on June 25.
Ingersoll said he was informed by Douglass principal Brian Staples on Monday that the decision to rescind the offer had come from the district office. The coach said he contacted district athletic director Keith Sinor, but Ingersoll was not given a reason for the offer being withdrawn.
Sinor did not return calls from The Oklahoman seeking comment.
“I had been a loyal and faithful employee for the Oklahoma City Public Schools for 25 years,” Ingersoll said. “I never received a reprimand, and my evaluations were always near perfect. The district athletic department's organizational health index was always among the best in the district when I was district director of athletics.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena