High schools: Prep school was best option for former Heritage Hall QB Quinn Shanbour
Shanbour was able to showcase his talents, get additional attention from college football programs.
After the way things worked out, Quinn Shanbour was confident that spending a year in prep school was the right move.
“I'd known some guys and trained with some guys that had done it and it worked out really well for them,” said Shanbour, a former Heritage Hall quarterback. “I didn't get what I really expected last year after having one season.”
So instead of walking on at Oklahoma State or Indiana, Shanbour wound up at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Conn.
The gamble appears to have paid off.
Shanbour threw for more than 1,500 yards and ran for about 900 and earned All-New England honors. Just as importantly, he's improved his recruiting stock.
“I couldn't have done much better for myself,” Shanbour said.
He had a Colorado offer before coach Jon Embree was fired. He isn't sure where that stands, but Shanbour also holds an offer from Northwestern (La.) State.
Shanbour's also attracted attention from Florida Atlantic, East Carolina, Indiana and a handful of Ivy League schools.
Coming out of high school, Shanbour nearly wound up in the Ivy League at Columbia.
But when Norries Wilson was fired as Columbia's head coach after last season, Shanbour was left with prep school as his top option.
In addition to his on-the-field performance, Shanbour has also helped himself off it.
Columbia recruited Shanbour as a “second-band” player, a status that gave him a narrower window in the Ivy League's tough academic standards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims