High schools: Star Spencer working toward a return to playoffs
Class 4A's state champion has missed the postseason the last two years.
SPENCER — It's hard to grasp the depth of the fall Star Spencer football experienced after 2009.
That year, the Bobcats were the best team in Class 4A — 12-2 record and state champions — and in the two seasons that followed, they barely avoided being Class 3A's worst team. They won one game in each 2010 and 2011, and don't even bother talking about the playoffs. They were not even close.
Photoview all 30 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But finally, with some continuity at the head coaching position once again — the current seniors played for three different coaches their first three years — the Bobcats are showing signs of life again. Maybe enough to get them back in the postseason.
“Our goal from the beginning of the year was to go to the playoffs,” second-year coach James Harding said. “Last year, it was tough, because I was still hiring assistant coaches during the first week of fall camp. We were behind from the start.
“Everyone committed and bought in to what we want to do. They believe now.”
Star Spencer's playoff hopes received a boost Friday night with a 14-13 win over Newcastle in double-overtime. That moved the Bobcats' district record to 2-2, and they sit in fourth place with two district games left. The top-four teams in each district qualify for the postseason.
Star faces Bridge Creek in a nondistrict game this week, and then close the year with Centennial and Heritage Hall.
There are still too many scenarios left to figure out exactly what the Bobcats need to lock up a playoff spot, but they've put themselves in good position.
Friday's win was a big lift, because it showed Harding that his players could keep fighting through a tough situation.
A week earlier, Star stumbled in a game it know it could've won but lost 7-6 to Bethel. Against Newcastle, the game went to overtime tied at 6, and neither team scored in the first OT.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates