High schools: Superintendents place friendly wager on NBA Finals
Oklahoma City Public Schools superintendent Karl Springer looking forward to Florida youngsters learning about Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Public Schools superintendent Karl Springer and Miami-Dade County Public Schools superintendent Alberto Carvalho are putting their city support in action.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
The two have agreed on a friendly wager on the NBA Finals series between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat.
The Heat led the best-of-7 series 2-1 heading into Game 4 Tuesday night in Miami.
If the Heat win the series, Springer will wear a Heat jersey and teach a class on Florida history at an OKCPS school when classes resume Aug. 1. If the Thunder wins, Carvalho will wear a Thunder jersey and teach a lesson on Oklahoma history to Miami-Dade County students in August.
“I am looking forward to seeing the pictures from Miami when Mr. Carvalho wears the OKC Thunder blue,” Springer said. “I have full confidence in our team, and this is a great chance for Floridians to learn more about Oklahoma City and our state.”
HORNETS STAR ALEXANDER PICKS ARKANSAS
Dominique Alexander will spend a lot of time playing defensive end and outside linebacker for Tulsa Washington in the fall, but his college football future is much different.
Alexander verbally committed to Arkansas on Tuesday, where he is being recruited as a safety, according to new Hornets coach Marvin Dantzler.
“Different schools were looking at him at different positions,” Dantzler said. “He has played everywhere for us, but this year, he'll primarily be our weakside end and outside linebacker, and wide receiver on offense.”
Dantzler coached the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Alexander in track, where he ran on the Hornets' 400-meter relay team. Alexander is the younger brother of Derrick Alexander, who was an All-State player as a linebacker for Tulsa Washington in 2010. Derrick is now playing for Tulsa University.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community