High schools: Vian, Frederick close in on single-season national scoring record
If both teams win semifinal games this week, they will meet for the Class 2A state championship
Guthrie's 2007 Class 5A state title team was a juggernaut.
The Bluejays that season shut out eight opponents and scored 58 or more points nine times in 14 games. Kye Staley, now at Oklahoma State, scored 31 touchdowns and Donte' Foster, now a standout at Ohio, had 11 touchdown receptions.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Guthrie set a state record that year by scoring 764 points.
Already this season, with two possibly two games left to play for the teams involved, a pair of teams have topped the mark.
Vian and Frederick are putting up their prodigious offensive numbers in different ways, but both are turning in historic seasons.
Going into Friday's Class 2A game against Davis at Midwest City, Vian has scored 821 points, blasting past Guthrie's mark late in a 76-26 win over Kansas in the second round.
Last week, Vian was held 10 points below its previous season-worst offensive total. The Wolverines still scored 43 in a 43-13 rout of two-time defending state champion Hennessey.
Vian is doing it primarily with a ground game that is led by Rowdy Simon and helped by probably the best offensive lineman in the state in Tulsa commit Rob Boyd.
Last week, Vian ran for 315 yards and four touchdowns with Simon accounting for well more than 100 of that.
Frederick's pace is slightly behind Vian's.
The Bombers, who play Oklahoma Christian School at Southwestern Oklahoma State in Weatherford on Friday, have scored 790 points this year, topping the 70-point mark five times.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?