High schools: Vian, Frederick close in on single-season national scoring record
If both teams win semifinal games this week, they will meet for the Class 2A state championship
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We've had a lot of kids — second- and third-team guys — go out and score. Some of those games get out of hand, but it's hard to tell those kids not to score.”
Frederick runs a Mike Leach-style air raid offense.
Farmer said his team's offensive boost this year — the Bombers scored 549 points in last year's 10-2 season — comes with his team learning the offense.
“We're doing the same thing we've done since I've been here, and kids are getting better and better at it,” Farmer said. “A lot of the stuff we do is just predicated on what the defense does and it takes awhile to learn that.”
Both teams are within reach of the national scoring record of 903 points scored by Albemarle (N.C.) in 16 games in 2001. Last season, Refugio (Texas) scored 891 points in a 15-game schedule.
If both win this week, the two highest-scoring teams in state history will face off at Boone Pickens Stadium for the state title.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated