Hobby Lobby standing on principle in vow to continue its fight against mandate
The state of Washington is raising its minimum wage to $9.19 an hour, highest among 50 states. San Francisco is moving to $10.55 an hour. The federal minimum wage is $7.25, but some congressional Democrats want to raise it to $9.80 over two years.
In comparison, full-time employees at Hobby Lobby earn at least $13 an hour; part-time workers make at least $9. The company has boosted the minimum wage of its 15,300 employees for four consecutive years. Hobby Lobby CEO David Green and his wife, Barbara, also have vowed to donate much of their fortune to charity.
Ironically, the values prompting the Greens' generosity to workers and charities are now leading to a face-off with the federal government.
Obamacare mandates coverage of what many consider abortion-causing drugs. The Greens' religious beliefs, which fuel their altruism, also cause them to oppose funding abortion. The company is prepared to defy the mandate, potentially costing Hobby Lobby $1.3 million per day in fines. That will ultimately cost jobs and depress wages for the types of workers liberals like President Barack Obama claim to support, at least in theory.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister