• Salsa making class sponsored by the Cleveland County Master Gardener Association, 10 a.m., Oct. 20, Cleveland County Cooperative Extension Service, Cleveland County Fairgrounds, Room C, 601 E Robinson, Norman. Conducted by Brenda Hill, family consumer sciences educator, Cleveland County Extension Service. This event is free to the public. Call 321-4774.
• The Central Oklahoma Cactus and Succulent society will present “Cacti and Succulents for Cold Climates” by author and speaker Leo Chance, 10 a.m., Oct. 20, Will Rogers Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36. Sales of cactuses and succulents will follow the program. Free. Call 737-1831 or email email@example.com
• Fall foliage walking tour, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., Oct. 26, Will Rogers Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36. Take an invigorating autumn hike through the Will Rogers Gardens and newly-renovated Margaret Annis Boys Arboretum. Comfortable walking shoes recommended. Registration required by calling 943-0827. Free.
Autumn planting guide
It is the time of year again for planting trees and shrubs. Below are some tips for keeping your new plantings healthy.
1. Dig the hole two times wider than the root ball diameter.
2. Plant the tree slightly above the natural grade of the soil.
3. Always handle the plant by the container or root ball, not the trunk.
4. Do not amend the planting hole. No peat moss, fertilizer, or other amendment should be placed directly into the hole with the plant.
5. Fill the hole with native soil and tamp the soil down around the plant.
6. Water completely and thoroughly to settle soil around the roots and eliminate air. Check the moisture every week and water as necessary.
7. Add a 2- to 3-inch-deep layer of mulch around the base of newly planted trees and shrubs, but do not let it contact the trunk.
8. Never stake your tree. If you have to stake a tree, do it loosely so the tree can still sway.
A list of recommended trees and shrubs for Oklahoma can be found at oces.okstate.edu/cleveland/horticulture.
Tracey Payton Miller, Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service