For more information, call the phone number or use the email address provided. To submit items, call Melissa Howell at 475-3770 or email email@example.com. Reference “Home and garden calendar.” Please submit items at least 10 days before publication.
• Oklahoma Horticulture Society, 7 p.m., Tuesday, OSU Agriculture Resource Center, 400 N Portland. Program presented by Julia Laughlin, director of the Oklahoma County Extension Office horticulture department, on the Italian Renaissance garden. Admission is free. Refreshments will be served.
• Apogon Iris Garden Club, noon, Wednesday, 406 N 44. Hostesses are Tis Bohlman and Pearl Sullens. Program is on planning meetings for 2013-14. Leader is Sharon Burton. Call 773-4443.
• Central Oklahoma Beekeepers Association, 7 p.m., Thursday, Oklahoma County Cooperative Extension Service, 930 N Portland. Visitors are welcome.
• Lawn Management, 1:30 to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oklahoma County Cooperative Extension Service, 930 N Portland. Free and open to everyone. Call 713-1125.
• Low Maintenance Landscapes, 9:30 a.m. to noon, May 4, Will Rogers Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36. Using native plants can reduce watering, pest and disease treatments, and assist in many other areas. Learn how to choose and design with natives. Drawbacks to using native plants will be discussed. Registration required by calling 943-0827. Free.
• Personal Flower Arranging, Friday, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., May 10. This session on basic flower arranging gives novices a chance to learn the tips of the trade. Participants bring floral material, vases, plus hand pruners and floral wire. Registration required by calling 943-0827. Free.
• Plant sale and garage sale sponsored by Midwest City Council of Garden Clubs, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday and Friday, Rubye Atkinson Center, 422 Russell Dr., Midwest City.
• Spring Walking Tour, 9:30 to 11 a.m., Friday, Will Rogers Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36. Enjoy the beauty and bounty throughout the gardens at Will Rogers Park. Cameras welcome, and comfortable walking shoes recommended. Free.
• Festival in the Park, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., May 18, Will Rogers Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36. This annual celebration combines a plant and gardening materials sale with free horticulture seminars, floral design and entertaining kids' activities.
A GREENER VIEW
Fertilize tulips, daffodils now
Q: My tulips and daffodils are coming up. When is the best time to fertilize them?