Hoop Dreams: Cameron Peters will make his mother's wish come true
The Piedmont junior basketball player has no doubt that he will attend college, whether he plays or not.
KINGFISHER — Every day when 10-year-old Cameron Peters got home from school, it was time for homework and a ham sandwich.
No matter how sick Darlecia Peters got, or how much pain she was in after chemotherapy treatments, she always had the strength for her son's homework and ham sandwich.
Those moments are the memories that stick with Cameron six years after his mother's death from breast cancer.
Ham sandwiches and homework. Or mom's amazing spaghetti. Or how she always called him her “sweet boy.”
“Those are the things I'll always remember,” Cameron said.
Add one more thing to the list — her constant reminder that Cameron will go to college.
Not maybe. Not hopefully. He will go to college.
When Cameron was playing youth basketball, Darlecia always pushed him to get better. The only area where she pushed harder was in academics.
Now, as a 6-foot-5 junior for the Piedmont basketball team, Cameron might have found an avenue to bring the two together.
Strong and athletic, he's a force as a scorer, rebounder and defender.
He already has a scholarship offer from South Dakota, and he is hearing from a variety of programs, such as Oklahoma, Tulsa and Oral Roberts, to Alaska, Drexel, Cornell and others.
“Her biggest thing was that Cameron go to college,” said Cameron's father, James Peters. “Now I feel like that has become my No. 1 priority, my No. 1 goal — to make sure he goes to college, whether it's on a basketball scholarship or not.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort