Horses deserve better than slaughter
Regarding “Horse slaughter measures advance” (News, Feb. 21): The passage of House Bill 1999, authored by Rep. Skye McNiel, R-Bristow, and Senate Bill 375 by Sen. Mark Allen, R-Spiro, is like being forced to execute an innocent person with either a gun or a machete. Both choices are horrendous and unacceptable. I've always been saddened by the cruelty of Mexican and Spanish cultures regarding bull fighting. The practices of horse slaughter described in the article made me sick.
NewsOK Related Articles
I agree with Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, that bringing horse slaughter back to Oklahoma sends a terrible message to those who might consider relocating here. Horses are magnificent animals that deserve better. Why not allow horse owners who can no longer afford their animals to have them euthanized by a licensed veterinarian? I would much rather see this and would donate to a fund set up for such purposes. We hear so much about our responsibility to the environment, as we should. But we're also stewards of the living environment, to exercise benevolent dominion over the animal world. Let's keep the civility in civilization.
Gary Roberts, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in