Share “House fire injures three children in Oklahoma”

House fire injures three children in Oklahoma

A Purcell, OK, house fire left three children with burn injuries. The children were flown to a hospital in Dallas. Crews are investigating the early Wednesday fire.
by Robert Medley Modified: November 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm •  Published: November 20, 2013

Three children were flown to a Dallas hospital after being burned in a house fire Wednesday, authorities said.

Investigators from the state fire marshal's office determined an electrical malfunction was to blame for the 2 a.m. fire at 621 S Canadian in Purcell.

Three girls in the home were flown to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas to be treated for burns, said Luke Tallant, assistant state fire marshal. Authorities did not know what condition the girls were in Wednesday evening.

Parkland is a burn center and a level one trauma center. OU Medical Center is a trauma center, and Integris Baptist Medical Center has a burn center, but there is no hospital in Oklahoma with both certifications.

Two adults, the mother and father of the children, were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Tallant said the mother woke up and smelled smoke. She was able to get the girls out of a window after their father found heavy flames in the home's living room.

Purcell Fire Chief Gary Bonner said the house did not have smoke detectors. He urged everyone to get working detectors and said nearly all fire departments have programs to give them away.

“We have a huge concern of people not using smoke detectors,” Bonner said. “With winter coming on, people really need to test them now and not wait. It is essential that every house have the appropriate number of smoke detectors.”

by Robert Medley
Breaking News Reporter
Robert Medley has been a reporter for The Oklahoman since 1989, covering various news beats in the Oklahoma City metro area and in the Norman news bureau. He has been part of the breaking news team since 2008. A 1987 University of Oklahoma...
+ show more


  1. 1
    Report: Williams Cos. investors file class action suit over ETE sale
  2. 2
    Undercover investigation into Tulsa house believed to be site of prostitution, drugs leads to two...
  3. 3
    Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond juggles new cookbook, cookware, show
  4. 4
    Oklahoma 8th-grader hit in crosswalk
  5. 5
    Student sent home from Edmond school after discovery of 'hit list'
+ show more


× Trending news Article