PURCELL — Three children were flown to a Dallas hospital after being burned in a house fire Wednesday, authorities said.
Investigators from the state fire marshal's office determined an electrical malfunction was to blame for the 2 a.m. fire at 621 S Canadian in Purcell.
Three girls in the home were flown to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas to be treated for burns, said Luke Tallant, assistant state fire marshal. Authorities did not know what condition the girls were in Wednesday evening.
Parkland is a burn center and a level one trauma center. OU Medical Center is a trauma center, and Integris Baptist Medical Center has a burn center, but there is no hospital in Oklahoma with both certifications.
Two adults, the mother and father of the children, were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Tallant said the mother woke up and smelled smoke. She was able to get the girls out of a window after their father found heavy flames in the home's living room.
Purcell Fire Chief Gary Bonner said the house did not have smoke detectors. He urged everyone to get working detectors and said nearly all fire departments have programs to give them away.
“We have a huge concern of people not using smoke detectors,” Bonner said. “With winter coming on, people really need to test them now and not wait. It is essential that every house have the appropriate number of smoke detectors.”