House panel approves Senate redistricting plan
But the Senate receives criticism for its decision to hire a consultant.
To view the new Senate districts, go to www.oksenate.gov/index.aspx and click on “Senators” on the top of the page. On the drop-down menu, click on “District Maps” and then click on “New Senate District Maps (2011).” Several maps are available to view by clicking on their title. They include a statewide map and maps of proposed Senate districts in Canadian, Cleveland, Oklahoma and Tulsa counties.
Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, plans to run against Sen. Brian Crain, R- Tulsa. The western Oklahoma district of Sen. Tom Ivester, D-Elk City, was moved east to include the residence of Sen. Rob Johnson, R- Kingfisher. But Johnson is planning to move into his new district northwest of Oklahoma City and not oppose Ivester.
Split counties reduced
Lexa Shafer, a Senate staffer who worked on redistricting, told the committee that the number of split counties was reduced from 30 to 27.
Rep. Eric Proctor, D-Tulsa, earlier on the House floor Thursday, criticized the Senate process but complimented GOP House leaders for the open and bipartisan process to redraw the House districts.
“The speaker of the House is to be commended on doing it correctly and doing it openly,” he said. “The state Senate could not have done it any more opposite than everything I just said. ... We did it the right way. They did it the wrong way.”
Rep. Mike Shelton, D-Oklahoma City, who often spats with House Republican leadership and members over legislation, also was complimentary of how House Republicans dealt with redistricting.
“It does mean a lot when we can all sit down and work out something,” he said. “I would advise the House members to possibly ask the Senate to use us as their mentors and they can just talk to each other to work out their differences. We do not need to go spend $150,000 on some professional.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims