House speaker-designate moves closer to filling leadership post
T.W. Shannon will be the first black person to serve as Speaker of the House. He will become speaker-elect during a meeting Thursday of the House Republican caucus.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He downplayed the historic significance of his becoming speaker.
“I'm also part Chickasaw and the real story is a Chickasaw getting elected in Comanche territory,” Shannon joked.
Shannon said he is proud of his heritage, but that's not his focus.
“I ran as a conservative and that's why I got elected, not because of what I look like,” he said. “It's not the deciding factor of how I vote. It's part of who I am.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort