How the major indexes fared Wednesday
U.S. stocks declined on Wednesday after a report showed that the U.S. economy unexpectedly contracted in the fourth quarter of last year. The Standard & Poor's logged its biggest decline of the year, after rallying close to a record.
The Dow Jones industrial average closed down 44 points, or 0.3 percent, at 13,910.42.
The S&P 500 fell 5.88, or 0.39 percent, to 1,501.96.
The Nasdaq composite index fell 11.35, or 0.36 percent, to 3,142.31
For the week:
The Dow is up 14.44 points, or 0.1 percent.
The S&P 500 is down 1, or 0.07 percent.
The Nasdaq is down 7.4, or 0.24 percent.
For the year:
The Dow is up 806.28 points, or 6.2 percent.
The S&P 500 is up 75.77, or 5.3 percent.
The Nasdaq is up 122.88, or 4.1 percent.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims