How the major stock indexes fared Tuesday
U.S. stocks advanced on Tuesday, pushing the Dow Jones industrial average closer to 14,000. Drugmaker Pfizer rose after posting a strong earnings report, giving the Dow a lift. The Standard & Poor's 500 also gained, closing above 1,500 for a third day.
The Dow Jones industrial average closed up 72.49 points, or 0.52 percent, at 13,954.42.
The S&P 500 rose 7.66, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.84.
The Nasdaq composite index was little changed at 3,153.66
For the week:
The Dow is up 58.44 points, or 0.4 percent.
The S&P 500 is up 4.9, or 0.3 percent.
The Nasdaq is up 3.95, or 0.1 percent.
For the year:
The Dow is up 850.28 points, or 6.5 percent.
The S&P 500 is up 81.65, or 5.7 percent.
The Nasdaq is up 134.15, or 4.4 percent.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified