How to buy a gun from a federally licensed firearm dealer in Oklahoma
Buying a gun takes about an hour, including instantaneous federal background check
For most people, buying a gun through a licensed firearms dealer in Oklahoma is a simple process that can take as little as an hour.
The only requirement is that you are 21 years old, can show proof of residency, can pay in full and can pass a federal background check.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After selecting a gun, applicants are required to fill out Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473, as well as a child safety notification form. These forms collect the applicant's personal identification information and run down the list of prohibitions.
A person cannot buy or possess a firearm, for example, if he has a current or prior felony record or was convicted of a domestic violence crime.
The salesman will verify the information by reviewing the applicant's driver's license, and then he will run the application information through the Federal Bureau of Investigation's nationwide database, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
During a NICS check, the prospective firearm transferee's name and descriptive information is checked against records in three nationally held databases:
• Interstate Identification Index maintains 58.6 million criminal court records.
• National Crime Information Center maintains data on persons who are subjects of protective orders or active criminal warrants, or who have violated immigration law (48.2 million records as of 2010).
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims