I may own an iPhone, but that doesn’t mean I’m not still a hippie at heart. I am! I love my pretty piece of uber-advanced modern technology, but I’m still all about reducing, reusing, and recycling. So when it came to keeping my iPhone safe, I couldn’t help but think of ways that I might “upcycle” something old. Here are a few ideas I found for protecting your iPhone in easy, sustainable style.
1. Juice box: Wow! This amazing crafter creates iPod and iPhone cases out of used mini juice boxes. Think you can make something similar?
2. Raid your dresser: Before you drop off your next donation bag at the thrift shop, consider turning old clothing into a new iPhone “cozy”. Socks in fun patterns are already halfway there; you don’t even need a side seam. Just use the “tube” part, sew up the bottom, and add a button or zipper at the top. A cardigan sleeve can be used the same way.
3. Raid any other fabric: And here I’m thinking upholstery, old pillows, blankets, denim, tweed, etc, because for this purpose, stiffer fabrics are better. Once you’ve got your material you can Google around for a pattern.
4. Don’t forget leather: Or for vegans like me, pleather or vinyl. An ugly old purse may be just a few snips and stitches away from a sleek, chic new case.
5. Make a book case: Get it? But seriously, you can use a small notebook or moleskin or other little book, make something similar to a secret compartment book safe. I really love the idea of carrying an iPhone in a book – an ode to low tech in a high tech world!