Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
How they work: On Points.com's GPX exchange, users post trade offers including the airline and number of miles they wish to give up, and the airline and number of miles they want in return. They can also browse potential trades by airline, and click to accept a trade. Cost: There is no charge for listing a trade, but Points.com charges both parties when a trade is completed. Fees vary with the airline from which miles are given up and the number of miles. For example, trading away 10,000 miles costs $130 on American or Delta and $100 on Continental. Exchange rates: Chris Barnard, president of Points.com, says most trades are 1-for-1 — each side gets the same number of miles. But not always. This week there were several offers to exchange Delta miles for fewer American miles. Some looked like feeler offers, including a 30-for-1 swap that had not been accepted by any other user. Not all airlines covered: Ten airlines allow miles to be traded on Points.com: Aeroplan, AirTran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Icelandair, Midwest and TACA, plus the Intercontinental chain of hotels. Your program: Check the terms and conditions to see whether your airline lets you trade or give your miles to someone else. Most airlines state that their miles cannot be purchased, sold or bartered outside approved channels.
How to trade frequent flier miles
Web sites including Points.com and LoyaltyMatch.com let people trade frequent-flier miles from one airline for miles in another. The miles can also be traded for hotel-reward points, merchandise or cash.
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18759Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10409Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9339Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7780Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6796UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6582Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister