Last week ran out of laundry detergent. Instead of buying more, I decided to take a risk. I had a random bottle of castile soap that I wasn't sure why I had bought, and I had a big bulk bag of baking soda. I figured, if there was ever a time to try making laundry detergent, then would have been the time.
I did some research, and I found that most of the recipes for natural laundry detergent involved some combination of soap, baking soda, washing soda, and Borax. Some of them included vinegar, but since I bleach my dish towels, I didn't want to include vinegar in the detergent. I wanted the option of either adding vinegar or bleach to the detergent, depending on what I'm washing.
Based on my research, I invented a detergent recipe. This is the recipe that I generated:
Equipment: A large plastic container with a tight-fitting lid; a clean, empty can (standard bean/vegetable can) to measure with; something to stir with.
Ingredients: 3 cans of baking soda, 3 cans of washing soda, 3 cans of Borax, 8 oz bottle of castile soap.