CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A charity stunt that has grown into a social media phenomenon went terribly wrong for four Kentucky firefighters when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they dumped water on college students who were taking part in an "ice bucket challenge."
Campbellsville Police Chief Tim Hazlette said the power line was never touched Thursday morning, but it carried such a high voltage that it was able to energize the ladder truck, shocking the firefighters.
The two in the bucket were at a hospital burn unit early Friday. One was in critical condition and the other was in fair condition, the hospital said. The other firefighters were treated and released.
The firefighters had just taken part in the challenge that helps raise money for ALS research. They dumped water on the Campbellsville University's marching band, but most of the students had already left the area and no students were hurt.
University nursing student Julie Smith said she was nearby and spoke to a couple of friends who witnessed the firefighters being shocked and said "they are taking it really hard."
"It's tragic, I feel for all the band members who were still there when it happened, that they had to see that," Smith said. Smith later led a prayer vigil with about 100 people on the campus Thursday night.
Taylor County Judge-Executive Eddie Rogers said Friday that the community was still reeling from the accident.
"We never know when something like this is going to happen," he said. "Everybody's heartbroken over it."
Continue reading this story on the...