• Inform your credit card companies — This will help ensure your card is not declined at an inopportune time.
Things to do after arriving
• Prepare for a two-hour wait in customs.
• Exchange money: There is usually a fee, so it pays to exchange cash as few times a possible.
• Figure out your phone: If your phone functions upon arrival, you will probably receive a text message explaining the price of service and further options. AT&T offered 120MB of data for $30, which worked in both Australia and New Zealand.
• Consider the train: Like everything else Down Under, taxis are very expensive. A trip from the airport to your hotel could easily run $55 to $75.
In New Zealand
• Expect a much shorter trek through customs.
• Exchange money: Put away any Australian currency you may have left. It is easily confused with the coins and paper bills used in New Zealand.