If you go
If You Go
A tourist information center is located near the church tower in Saschiz. The best online site is run by a conservation group: www.adeptfoundation.org.
The nearest train stations are Vlad the Impaler's birthplace, Sighisoara, about nine miles away, and in the larger city of Brasov, some 80 miles southeast. You can also fly to the regional airport of Targu Mures, about 44 miles away northwest. Or fly into the Romanian capital, Bucharest, about 206 miles away, to add a four-hour drive with plenty of pretty scenery.
Prince Charles' Transylvanian manor at Valea Zalanului, in a remote village in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains, is a must for those wanting the “Transylvanian royal experience.” Guests can also stay in restored cottages owned by Count Tibor Kalnoky in the village of Miclosoara, where the prince also stays. Hiking and nature tours are also offered. Details are available at www.transylvaniancastle.com. Prince Charles also owns a house in the village of Viscri, where lodging and activities are available at a guesthouse called Viscri 125, www.viscri125.ro.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in