Archbishop Paul Coakley is calling for a Catholic campaign of prayer to oppose a satanist’s plans for a “Black Mass” at Civic Center Music Hall.
In an open letter released Tuesday, Coakley said there had been no indication Oklahoma City officials would block the event “in spite of repeated requests.”
The archbishop wrote that he was asking Catholic churches to conclude each Mass between Wednesday and Sept. 29 with the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel, who according to the faith defeated the devil in battle.
Coakley also said he would lead a prayer service and outdoor procession on Sept. 21, the day the satanists plan their event at the Civic Center. The prayer service will begin at 3 p.m. at St. Francis of Assisi Church, 1901 NW 18 St.
“Even though tickets are being sold for this event as if it were merely some sort of dark entertainment, this satanic ritual is deadly serious,” Coakley wrote.
Calling on Catholics
“I am especially concerned about the dark powers that this satanic worship invites into our community and the spiritual danger that this poses to all who are involved in it, directly or indirectly,” the archbishop said in his letter.
“Since it seems this event will not be canceled,” he said, “I am calling on all Catholics of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City to counteract this challenge to faith and decency through prayer and penance.”
Continue reading this story on the...