The fire investigation
The state fire marshal’s office is not ready to say whether arson is suspected in the Saturday fire that destroyed The Anadarko Daily News and Tornado Alley bar.
"We know that it started near the back of the bar in the area of an electrical panel, but we have not determined how it was caused,” fire marshal spokeswoman JoAnne Sellars said Monday.
Investigators said the fire was discovered at the bar about 5 a.m., three hours after it closed. "There was heavy smoke reported when firefighters arrived,” Sellars said. "They made entry but had to back out due to the thick smoke.”
Carolyn McBride, editor of The Anadarko Daily News, said she arrived at the fire about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. She and husband Joe McBride Jr., co-publishers, were just north of the newspaper building in a park near when she looked down and saw a gun. McBride said she flagged down a police officer, Sgt. Charles Pendarvis, and he took possession of the .38-caliber pistol. She said she does not think the gun had any relevance to the fire. Johnny Johnson and Robert Medley, Staff Writers