Incoming Oklahoma House Speaker taps Norman rep for budget panel
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Incoming Oklahoma House Speaker T.W. Shannon has tapped Norman Rep. Scott Martin to head the powerful Appropriations and Budget Committee.
Shannon announced Monday that Martin would serve as chairman of the committee where he has served as co-chairman for the last four years. Martin replaces Rep. Earl Sears of Bartlesville, who headed the panel for two years.
Martin, a Republican, promised in a statement to “work hard every day to watch over our tax dollars.”
Shannon also announced Monday that Rep. Pam Peterson of Tulsa will serve as the next majority floor leader, who coordinates when bills are scheduled for a hearing on the House floor.
Shannon also named Reps. Fred Jordan of Tulsa and Dennis Johnson of Duncan as majority leaders and Todd Thomsen of Ada as majority whip.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister