Ind. lawmakers don sneakers for anti-cancer effort
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Numerous Indiana lawmakers and staff members are wearing sneakers around the Statehouse as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer activity sponsored by the American Cancer Society.
Indiana State basketball coach Greg Lansing joined Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosma and others in promoting the event Monday after hundreds of college basketball coaches traded their dress shoes for sneakers during games over the weekend. Those taking part include Rep. Bob Heaton of Terre Haute, who played with Larry Bird on the Indiana State's 1979 NCAA runner-up squad.
Bosma says he hopes the suits-and-sneakers program helps bring awareness to the cancer society's initiatives for improving nutrition and physical activity to help reduce the instances of cancer.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad