Indians, INF Aviles agree to $6M, 2-year deal
CLEVELAND (AP) — The Indians have once again dodged the arbitrator.
For the 22nd straight year, the club stayed out of salary arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, $6 million contract with infielder Mike Aviles on Thursday. The deal includes a club option for 2015.
Cleveland has not had a player go to arbitration since Greg Swindell and Jerry Browne in 1991, a streak that was in jeopardy before the Indians locked up Aviles for two more years. His hearing was scheduled for next week.
Acquired from Toronto in November, Aviles projects to give the Indians depth at second base, shortstop and maybe the outfield. He spent last season as Boston's primary shortstop, batting .250 with 13 homers and 60 RBIs in 136 games.
Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said the club initially brought in Aviles to fill a short-term need and decided he could also help them over the long haul.
"We certainly saw Mike being a good fit on the team for multiple seasons," Antonetti said on a conference call. "Once we started the negotiating process and understood that Mike had an interest in a multi-year deal as well, we worked to try to get something done."
Aviles' deal would be worth $9.25 million over three years if the option is exercised, and he could earn $500,000 annually in performance bonuses. The 31-year-old receives a $1 million signing bonus and salaries of $1.75 million this season and $3 million in 2014, and the Indians hold a $3.5 million option in 2015 with a $250,000 buyout.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in