UPDATE: Injured police recruit has died, Oklahoma City police said
An unnamed Oklahoma City police recruit died Saturday after being injured during training Friday. Police said more details will be released Monday.
An Oklahoma City police recruit who was injured Friday died after suffering a head injury during self-defense training, authorities said.
In a Saturday post on Facebook, District Attorney David Prater described the cadet as a military veteran with two small children who had chosen a law enforcement career in order to spend more time with his family.
“Their job is very dangerous and training for the job involves dangerous activities that prepare cadets for the job they will face upon graduation from the academy,” Prater wrote. “Please keep this hero’s family in your prayers and all of our OCPD family as well.”
Police would not release the name of the trainee or confirm any details about what happened to cause the injury. A police official said more information will be available Monday.
The trainee had emergency surgery Friday after being involved in a training accident. He died Saturday, Master Sgt. Gary Knight said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister