Injured Terry ruled out of England qualifier
LONDON (AP) — John Terry will miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine on Tuesday because of an ankle injury.
The Chelsea center back was hurt Friday in the 5-0 win over Moldova in England's opening Group H match in qualifying and joins fellow defender and teammate Ashley Cole on the sidelines.
The English Football Association said in a statement Sunday that "following further treatment from the England medical staff today, John Terry will not be available for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine" and has returned to his club.
Terry's absence adds to manager Roy Hodgson's injury problems, with Wayne Rooney, Andy Carroll and Adam Johnson also out.
Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka are vying to replace Terry and partner Joleon Lescott in Tuesday's match at Wembley Stadium.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims