Iowa City building gets highest "green" rating
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — A plot of land on the east side of Iowa City once classified as an environmentally contaminated industrial site is now one of the most environmentally friendly places in the state.
The Environmental Education Center, built as part of the city's East Side Recycling Center, has earned a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum certification, the highest classification available.
The center is the only city-owned facility in Iowa certified platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council. There are only five other platinum-certified buildings in the state.
The center uses solar panels and a wind turbine for power. Carpeting is made from recycled plastic bottles. The wood is sustainably grown bamboo and cork.
The center hosts educational programs on recycling and waste reduction, renewable energy, and environmental issues.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates