Iowa doc gives up license to settle sex complaint
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — A former psychiatrist at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics has agreed to surrender his medical license to settle a complaint that he had an inappropriate sexual relationship with a female patient, state regulators said Tuesday.
The Iowa Board of Medicine released its settlement agreement with Sergio Paradiso, 49, who was accused of engaging in sexual misconduct with the mental health patient and violating professional boundaries for physicians.
The board filed its complaint against Paradiso in July, one year after a 30-year-old woman filed a civil lawsuit against Paradiso in Johnson County. The board last week formally accepted the settlement with Paradiso, who had practiced in Iowa since 2000.
The board's complaint alleged Paradiso encouraged the woman to drink alcohol even though she had a history of alcohol abuse, contacted and met with her repeatedly outside of treatment settings, gave her gifts, and ultimately engaged in a sexual relationship. The woman had been getting treatment from Paradiso for an eating disorder and alcoholism.
Hospital spokesman Tom Moore confirmed Paradiso resigned Aug. 4 from his $144,000-per-year job. He declined further comment.
Paradiso's attorney for employment and regulatory matters, Marc Mills, declined comment on the decision to surrender his medical license, which was made in September before a board hearing on the allegations against him. Mills said that Paradiso, who was also an associate university professor, was not on paid leave before his resignation.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena