Iowa State loses 108-96 in OT to No. 6 Kansas
AMES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa State still has a decent shot at a second straight trip to the NCAA tournament.
But if the Cyclones wind up in the NIT instead, they will have only themselves to blame.
Kansas' Elijah Johnson scored a career-high 39 points — including eight in the final 29 seconds of regulation and 12 in overtime — and No. 6 Kansas rallied to beat Iowa State 108-96 on Monday night, Kansas coach Bill Self's 500th win.
Travis Releford added 19 points for the Jayhawks (24-4, 12-3 Big 12), who snapped Iowa State's 22-game home winning streak and kept pace with No. 13 Kansas State atop the Big 12.
Iowa State has lost three overtime Big 12 games — including two heartbreakers to Kansas. Throw in a last-second loss at Oklahoma State, and a Cyclones team that could have competed for the Big 12 title is now scrambling for its postseason life.
Iowa State wraps up at Oklahoma, against Oklahoma State at home and at West Virginia. None of those figure to be easy.
"Hopefully we have a lot of season left. We've got to bounce back with these last three and hopefully beyond that," Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg said. "I love our guys. They're going to continue to fight back, and I'm very confident in them."
The Cyclones have had trouble defensively in the closing moments of key games.
They simply had no answer for Johnson down the stretch.
Johnson hit two 3s and made two free throws with 4.9 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 90-all. He and Releford buried 3s to put Kansas ahead 100-92 with 2:03 left, and Johnson drilled a 30-footer with 54 seconds left that deflated a sellout crowd.
Korie Lucious scored 23 points and Tyrus McGee had 22 for the Cyclones (19-9, 9-6), who lost despite hitting a school-record 17 3-pointers.
"I thought we defended better late this game. It was a kid making a couple of great plays," Hoiberg said of Johnson.
After the game a handful of those in the student section hurled small plastic megaphones at the Jayhawks as they ran back to their locker room.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12576OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6843Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6546Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5838Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4955Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4777Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers