Is there hope for the Episcopal Church?
Recently the 77th General Convention of the Episcopal Church passed a resolution to authorize the use of blessings for same-sex relationships. In a letter to Episcopalians in Oklahoma, the Right. Rev. Dr. Edward J. Konieczny tried to explain his vote in favor of the resolution. In the letter, he professed an understanding of the biblical nature of marriage and then offered three secular, non-scriptural reasons, or rationalizations, for his vote. Could this be construed as hypocrisy? Russ Douthat, in a New York Times article July 15, said the Episcopal Church is “flexible to the point of indifference on dogma, friendly to sexual liberation, eager to downplay theology entirely in favor of secular political causes.” He further expresses the view that the more progressive the Episcopal Church becomes, the more it shrinks.
NewsOK Related Articles
Is there any hope for the Episcopal Church? The voices of conservatives are being steadily marginalized.
Dwight Journey, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister