TULSA -- No one wants to make their child sick and parents will go an extra step to keep that from happening.
But when you reach for a pacifier to help quiet a fussy little one, just how clean is it?
A report from KJRH 2NEWS in Tulsa may surprise you.
The station's key source for the story, did research on the issue and what he found was unhealthy results.
Professor Tom Glass from the Oklahoma State University Health Sciences Center in Tulsa told 2NEWS that deep in the pores of the 10 pacifiers used for the OSU study were bacteria that easily could make a child sick.
In fact, there 40 different types of bacteria.
The report quotes him: "These are the kinds of mold that cause respiratory distress. Asthma-like symptoms. That was one of the most distressing parts of the whole study.
"We also found bacteria we did not expect that, by nature of their very being, release poisons into the system."
Not a healthy situation.